Saturday, August 22, 2009

Random thoughts about today

Yesterday my priest called just to see how I was doing. She's coming to see me next week to bring me communion. I know St Peter's is not as big as the cathedral but they also have a much smaller staff who seem to get more done in the the area of pastoral care. I guess it is a matter of priorities.

I want to go to the art store and but a zillion new colored pencils. I know it is kind of goofy for a 55 year old woman to be coloring in coloring books but they are quite beautiful and it is so relaxing. My artistic talents are very limited. I can't draw a stick figure but I seem to be pretty good at mixing colors and letting beautiful patterns evolve. Oh, and I can stay in the lines.

My brother and his wife came to see me yesterday. His wife is pretty fired up that I can't get any help around the house. Housekeepers here want anywhere from $50 to $75 an hour. I will admit I think housekeeping is worth that but I can't afford it. She's going to try to pull something out of her bag of tricks to get me some help. You can't get any assistance paid by Medicare or Medicaid unless you're 65 or over. Doesn't matter how sick you are, that is the arbitrary cut off point.

3 comments:

Grandmère Mimi said...

Roseann, I'm so pleased about the care and attention from your new/old church connection.

I'll pray that you continue to feel well and that you can get help with the housekeeping. The age limitation doesn't make any sense.

Color away, Girl.

Tracie the Red said...

RE: "Housekeepers here want anywhere from $50 to $75 an hour."

This kills me. I watched Michael Moore's film "Sicko" and while he can be something of a liberal demagogue (and that's not entirely bad), he did highlight something that goes on in...France, I think it was. A young mother received the assistance of a housekeeper/nanny during the week - on the government's nickel.

I just don't see any reason why we American cannot have something like that for people in your position, or in my mother's position. I should think it'd really come in handy!

And it is so good to see you are receiving good pastoral care. I'm sure it makes all the difference in the world.

susan s. said...

Glad to see this post. I remember coloring! I'll bet they have some really great books now. It's fun to think of you having fun with your pencils. Prayers continue for you and Gary.