Saturday, August 22, 2009

More Saturday ramblings

Once a year I buy Vogue magazine. The September issue aka The Book. This year, in deference to the economy I suppose, the book is about 200 pages less than last years. The fashion artistry is just beautiful. Of course, some of it is ridiculous like the 8 inch high heels. That is not fashion that is fetish. My favorite editorial was the current looks that are reminiscent of the 1940s. It is a wonderful reinterpretation of that glamour. Even in the wars years the women did so much to look sharp and put together. My mom told me they used to draw lines up the backs of their legs so it would look like they were wearing stockings.

I love art of all types. I so admire people who can write a poem, paint a picture, carve sculpture and create beautiful meals. I am a pretty good cook. I have my specialties and I've had some failures that were just astronomical. I like to watch the cooking competition shows on Food Network. Th cake and sugar artistry just blows me away. I'm also a big fan of Top Chef and Iron Chef American. Kind of crazy to watch people make this fabulous food you can't taste or smell but they are artists and masters at work.

2 comments:

Grandmère Mimi said...

My mom told me they used to draw lines up the backs of their legs so it would look like they were wearing stockings.

Roseann, I remember my mother and my aunts doing that when I was a child. They used eyebrow pencils to make the lines.

My favorite fashion period was the 1930s. The movie stars look smashing in the movies wearing the beautiful clothes of the period.

Paul said...

It is a pleasure for me to read of your delight in these things. Thank you. Also nice to see you delighting in life.