Sunday, August 30, 2009

Is it worth discussing?

I've always heard the axiom to never discuss politics or religion. This is law in my family and I believe it is because they absolutely can not justify their positions on anything. They can regurgitate what they hear from their pastors or talk radio but they can not cogently express themselves as to why they believe what they believe.

I like wild unfettered and opinionated debate. I want you to put up or shut up. Give me some facts. Do your dead level best to persuade me because that is what I'm going to do to you. I expect dignity and respect to go along with spirited debated unless you act like a donkey and then I'll tell you you're an ass.

To just avoid conversation or even confrontation is just cowardice. What does it say in scripture about spitting out the lukewarm? That's how I feel about it.

9 comments:

Douglas Ward said...

Sarah Palin would make a swell president.

Being Peace said...

President of what?

Grandmère Mimi said...

Roseann, if you read my post from the wait outside before Mary Landrieu's town meeting, you will see that I speak my piece, however, the conversation was not always civil and respectful.

Rose in the woods said...

Here, Here!
There are so many people who seem to think discussing important issues is like farting, something a civil person does not do in public. I think exchange of views on the most important issues is not only a right but our duty. Thanks for helping me see there are others who speak out. Keep it up!

Tracie the Red said...

Amen.

:D

Jane said...

Ro - I absolutely love this. Imagine that. Coming from someone who so never managed to speak her mind...BTW - did you see the pic of Hattie and I? If not, I will copy and send...

brian said...

I don't like discussing politics or religion. People get upset and neither side can prove anything beyond that's the way they were brought up or the way they make their money.

Being Peace said...

Well Brian, what can I say. You'd fit right in with my family.

Rose in the woods said...

Brian,
One affect of speaking up is often that you give courage to another person who wanted to speak up but didn't dare. It's like the little boy who cried out "The Emperor has no clothes!" Once somebody says it, it cannot be denied.