Tuesday, June 16, 2009

How are things?

Gary is doing very, very well. In fact I'm having a hard time getting him to just relax. I don't want him wiggling around so much while the shoulder is knitting back together. Anyone have a sledge hammer I can borrow? ha!

Yesterday I made his favorite dinner for him. Slow roasted brisket, mashed potatoes, and fried squash. I will share my brisket recipe that my old friend Robert gave me.

Set oven temp to 275
Get at least a 5 lb brisket with the fat cap still on. I've cooked a 9 pounder before for a party but I recommend at least 5 lbs.
Cut a piece of heavy duty foil that is big enough to completely wrap the brisket. Use a pan big enough to hold the brisket once it is ready and sealed up in the foil. If you're doing a really big one you can use a roaster, seal the top with foil and then put on the lid.

Slather the brisket generously with Dijon mustard. Place fat cap side up on the foil. Generously sprinkle the top with kosher salt and black pepper. Chop up 3 or 4 garlic cloves and sprikle them on top. Douse generously with Worcestershire sauce and Soy sauce. Don't be shy, the gravy this makes is just knock out.

Seal the brisket up tightly in the foil. Roast at 275 for one hour per pound. If you use a brisket smaller than 5 lbs roast at least 4 hours.

Your house will slowly be permeated with the most mouth watering aroma!!

Let the brisket rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.

I have one of those fancy gravy pitchers that lets the fat go to the top so you pour just the incredible juice. It is important to leave the fat cap on the brisket before cooking to help make the roast tender. And man oh man is it tender.

I have to eat a lot of red meat to keep my protein levels up. If you don't eat red meat often this is a great recipe for when you want some. Brisket is cheap and you'll love the flavor.

So back to how are things. Being able to cook again is a big deal for me. I still have to sit down a lot or take a break in the middle of cooking so I'm sticking with things I can leave and come back to later. The main thing is I'm getting up and moving around more and more. That is helping my energy level increase.

I've been praying for all of you. It is an honor to do so. I appreciate all the prayers you've sent for me and Gary. God bless you all. Love, R

9 comments:

Wormwood's Doxy said...

This just makes my day, Roseann!!! So glad to know that Gary is doing well. (Note to Gary: Behave yourself and rest!) So glad to know that you are doing something you love!

It also made me hungry. ;-) I'm definitely going to try that recipe...

Cheers,
Doxy

Leonardo Ricardo said...

I can´t wait! Actually I have a couple of eventos to use your brisket recipe for...down South of the Border(s) we don´t have such tender beef...unless it tenderloin of beef, well it´s not TENDER (at all)...so, I´m constantly doing little stewlike things (even with the meat for the fajitas) but this Brisket ought be GREAT for a big party! Thanks for sharing it and yourself with us!

suzanne said...

I could smell it from here! Gary's a lucky guy. Like doxy said, it makes my day to hear from you that you're well enough to be in the kitchen cookin' up a storm.

Blessings to you both,

ET

Grandmère Mimi said...

Great news about Gary, Roseann, and about you, too. Cooking again!

That recipe made my mouth water. Thanks for sharing it.

You and Gary continue in my prayers.

susan s. said...

This is all good!!!! Glad you are gaining strength, Gary is doing well, and Lordy, girl, that brisket sounds so delicious!

Prayers continue.

Arkansas Hillbilly said...

I am glad to hear everything went well with Gary and that you are feeling better!

StLouisJohn said...

Way to go, Roseann, glad to hear of Gary's recovery -- and of you gaining energy and doing things you enjoy doing!

Yah know...I'm going to have to make that brisket as a tribute to you! :-)

John

susan s. said...

I cam back today looking for more news and read this post again. I am so going to have to make that brisket!!!

Prayers continue for you and Gary.

Lindy said...

I can almost taste it. Good on you, Roseann. I am glad things are going well.