Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Friends and illness

I've noticed some of my friends have faded away since I've been ill. I know that illness can frighten people and they don't mean to be distant, they just don't know what to do. Then I have other friends who show up and clean my house for me or bring a meal or just send a card or email. I love the virtual friends I've made on OCICBW and Facebook. 

One of my long-time friends will give me a kidney if things change and I can have a transplant. This guy has already changed my life in more ways than I can describe. A zillion years ago he sat me down in from of a Mac and learning to use the computer changed my life.

Be gentle with your friends. Forgive them when they just don't know what to do. Pray for them. If for some reason they drop you like a hot rock pray for them anyway. Try to remember we're all one, we're all the Son. 

2 comments:

renzmqt said...

Amen.

Lisa Fox said...

Amen indeed.

I'll confess I'm one of those who has a very difficult time dealing with illness, infirmity, etc. For me, it's not because I don't care for the person; it's because the "intimations of mortality" frighten me so much. The thought of being dependent scares the bejesus outta me, and so I tend to avoid situations in which I have to confront it. ... That's not a good thing. In fact, I hate that aspect of myself.

On behalf of those friends who have become distant from you, let me suggest it's likely about them and their fears, Roseann -- not about you or their affection for you. In fact, I bet some of them are suffering major cases of The Guilts. OCICBW ...