Thursday, March 12, 2009

A little good news for a change

One of the reasons UAMS turned me down for transplant is the fact that I've had gastric bypass surgery. Gary got online last night and did some research that shows gastric bypass patients actually live longer with a kidney transplant than the general population. Did UAMS just miss those studies? I think they are only interested in low risk transplants because it keeps their numbers looking good. Better numbers, better chances of research grants. Way of the world, huh?

I'd like to call on my blogger friends to help if they can or if they have time to find any research on gastric bypass and kidney transplant. Good or bad it will help make our case.

I will fight as long as God gives me breath and strength and the will to go on. I slept almost 20 hours yesterday
which rested my soul and my heart. I will not give up. I will not go gently until God tells me it is time.

I love you all. You sustain me. You inspire me. I pray for you all daily. Until Traci sings I'm not giving up.

Love, Roseann

13 comments:

Martha said...

Keep fighting the good fight, Roseanne. Prayers are ascending for you in Tulsa!

PseudoPiskie said...

You remain on my prayer and the one at the church. We won't give up either.

Sam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara said...

Prayers continuing. That's the spirit! Hopefully someone know some medical types.

motheramelia said...

Rosanne, I always go to scholar.google for such searches. When I put in "gastric bypass kidney transplant" the first article in Transplantation:Volume 78(3)15 August 2004pp 469-474 ("Gastric Bypass in Morbidly Obese Patients with Chronic Renal Failure and Kidney Transplant," Alexander, J Wesley; Goodman, Hope R.; Gersin, Keith; Cardi, Michael; Austin, Joe; Goel, Sharad; Safdar, Shahzad; Huang, Shaoming; Woodle, E Steve ) concludes: "GBP is a safe and effective means for achieving significant long-term weight loss and relief of comorbid conditions in patients with renal failure on dialysis, in preparation for transplantation, or after transplantation." another article in Nutrition in Clinical Practice Vol. 22, No. 1, 16-21 (2007) J. Wesley Alexander, MD, ScD and Hope Goodman, MPT says essentially the same thing. I would print these out and use them to argue against the decision. If I can be of more help, let me know.

Tracie the Red said...

It figures, doesn't it?

I'm not singing yet. Can't anyway. Throat still too scratchy from allergies.

Joan said...

Super attitude, Roseann! You go girl!!!

Grandmère Mimi said...

Roseann, as I said on my blog post:

Roseann, this is good news. I knew you were a fighter. I knew you would not go gentle. I love you back, my dear friend. Prayers for you and Gary continue. May God bless you both.

Two Auntees said...

Way to go!! Keep fighting. You still may want to consider another transplant center. They may have more experience with people who have GBP surgery. You are in my prayers.

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Prayers continuing!

Arkansas Hillbilly said...

Prayers still ascending here too. Do check with those other transplant hospitals. And keep fighting! We're in your corner!

Wormwood's Doxy said...

Prayers continue, Roseann! I'm glad you are fighting--M.D. does NOT stand for "M.Deity"!

Cheers,
Doxy

StLouisJohn said...

Roseann,

Your fighting spirit is amazing! Lady, you truly are an inspiration!

I really liked MoatherAmelia's post -- good idea. This sounds like one of those things where by the time it is all done, you'll know more about it than the doctors.

Is there anything else any of us can do? Write the board at UAMS and send them copies of these articles? What a crock of a turn-down -- you've shown such a fighting spirit in overcoming so many obstacles, a key ingredient of any successful recovery -- and they back away because of gastric bypass surgery?

Now, a part of me wouldn't mind you receiving a transplant at Barnes Jewish here in St. Louis -- because I live just minutes from the place. But the larger part of me doesn't care where you get the transplant, just that you get it!

Love, hugs, prayer, and anything else I can do....

John