The American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas, has been providing counsel to families affected by the ban from the passage of Act 1. The ACLU of Arkansas wants to hear from folks who believe that they or their family will be hurt by the passage of Act 1.
If you have questions about how this initiative, which bans unmarried couples from serving as foster parents or adopting children, could affect you or your loved ones, the ACLU has prepared a FAQ about Act 1, which is available on their website www.acluarkansas.org.
The ACLU especially wants anyone who will be immediately harmed by the initiative to contact them, by December 10, 2008, if possible. For example:
- Families who may be forced to have current foster children leave their home and the children forced to leave the home.
- Any parent who, in the event of an emergency, wants his or her children to be adopted by a friend or family member who is unmarried and living with their partner.
- Children who need foster or adoptive parents and would be denied access to good homes.
- The friends and family of children who need a good home and now are ineligible to foster or adopt under the new law.
- Families who want to adopt or foster children and cannot due to the law.
If you feel you or someone you know could be impacted by the ban in any way, please email email@example.com or call (212) 519-7835.