Monday, September 8, 2008

Priorities

My friend Els wrote me and said, "

I am looking at Sarah Palin and cannot help but wonder about her priorities.

Why would you intentionally want to embarrass your teenage daughter by publicly flaunting her in the media and proclaiming her as proof of your own convictions? How sad that Palin’s priorities are so ego’d she cannot see the damage she is causing to one who should be one of her top priorities.

My heart goes out to her child and I cannot but wonder how we as a country could ever consider one whose priorities are so screwed.

"In every child who is born under no matter what circumstances and of no matter what parents , the potentiality of the human race is born again, and in him, too, once more, and each of us, our terrific responsibility toward human life.~James Agee~

My response to her:

I have to say priorities must be a huge issue for all families where both parents have to work. Then again, why is it both parents have to work? For some, for many I think, it is because the cost of living is just so high. Then again there are many who just have to get more and more and more stuff because they think that will make them happy. Have we as a nation lost sight of what makes us happy? It isn't things, no matter how hard the sellers of things want us to believe it is.

I don't have the answers for this. I always get to the point where I believe all our problems are really spiritual in nature.

Gary and I have certainly learned to do more with less. We drive a $200 car, we don't eat out or go to movies, we use the library instead of the bookstore. It can be done. I'll also be the first to admit that getting the disability will give us the breathing room we need. I won't say no to the money!

I question so much about Sarah Palin. I don't want to say she is a bad mother, I don't know that. I do think she put herself before her children and family by thrusting them onto the national stage and the harsh glare of the media. Your question about her priorities is another reason to not want her as VP.

All along I felt John Edwards shouldn't have been running for President. His wife has a terminal illness and he should be spending all his time with her and with their small children who will have to live without their mother. His having an affair showed me his ego is just way, way too out of control for him to be an effective leader.

Where is that balance. A strong leader must have a healthy ego, an ability to ride out the making of tough decisions. At the same time a strong leader must realize they are indeed servants. I have met a few people like that in my life. Unfortunately, ego seems to be what I encounter most.

No comments: