Monday, September 8, 2008

Dude...you really pissed me off

I find it demeaning that my political point of view is described as a "silly paradigm." I understand what it means to be liberal and I embrace it.

The definition of liberal includes:
favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.

favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.

favoring or permitting freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression

free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners.

open-minded or tolerant

characterized by generosity and willingness to give.

I ask what is "silly" about any of that? I understand that it is important to conservatives to [i]preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.[/i] I can understand that idea while rejecting its POV. I'm fairly certain conservatives don't consider themselves silly.

I think the last 8 years have damned near destroyed the country I love, the country I want back. I don't want to be embarrassed or ashamed to be an American. I want our legacy and reputation on a global level restored and renewed. I don't think a damn thing about that is "silly."

No comments: