Friday, August 29, 2008

So what's it like?

People are asking what is dialysis like so I will give you my take on it. The nurses and techs are wonderful, caring and kind. The catheter in my jugular vein is still pretty sore and tender so they are as gentle as they can be when hooking me up to the machine.

It is noisy and there is no privacy. You're in a big room with lots of other people hooked up to machines that beep and boop. TVs (which I can do without) are everywhere. Most disconcerting to me is people are everywhere. The guy directly across from me chewed gum with his mouth open for 3 solid hours. Call me picky, but I just don't want to see that. So I arrange myself in a way that I don't see TVs or people. I just put on my iPod and create my own space.

I don't feel anything other than some pressure on the catheter. Mostly I feel like I want to go home!

2 comments:

suzanne said...

Are you beginning to feel a little better?

s.

Grandmère Mimi said...

Being Peace, I'm still praying for you. I hope that your health begins to improve soon. You're doing the right thing to create you own space as much as possible.

I'm limited as to what I can do on my DIL's computer, so I can't load your picture from the destruction in Arkansas. All of the newspeople were covering that awful, awful convention which I totally missed, (I'm so thankful) except for part of McWorse's speech, which was terrible, and none covered the disasters wrought by Gustav. It's sickening.

I'll continue to pray for you.otgdx